a story lurks in every corner...

Cruel Summer

Its summer !


Yes! Kolkata Summer….and if I’m asked to describe it in just one word, then the only word that comes to my mind is, “horrible”.

The heat and added to it is the humidity. And so you sweat like a wet sponge being squeezed. All wet and messy.

Coupled with that is the overcrowding and the pollution.
They all jumble up together in one big vicious mess....

Today morning as I was rushing off to catch the metro just like any other fellow passenger during the rush hour of morning office goers, just as the metro stopped and the door slid open, a volley of fists and legs pushed me and many others like me aside to rush it as it was an AC metro! In the chaos that resulted, many got stuck in the door passage and fumbled with their hands as well as their tongues (harsh tone to slangs, whatever does the job) and the funny thing is that although I was initially pushed aside myself along with the likes of me who got sidelined, we were not to rest in peace either! Involuntarily the adrenaline rush made us forget the lessons of non-violence from the "Mahatma", and soon there we were fighting with everyone else for a seat to rest out bottoms.


In my case, although I was initially pushed aside harshly, but I took notice of the culprit and as soon as he was fumbling inside to take a seat, I showed the agility of an acrobat under the heightened adrenaline secretion that he had caused and before he was to turn and put his bottom on the seat, there was I, already sitting on the precious seat.

Soon, within 13 to 15 mins, there was central station and I got up to go when I realized, I usually come all this way standing but, today something got me....

the Kolkata Summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment