a story lurks in every corner...

A winter night's sleepless tale

2:05 a.m. is exactly what the time shows on my mobile screen. Had a hectic day at work and back home as well. And like any other day that I have been having recently, I had carried work from office back home.

At home I kept delaying my work for as long as past dinner time. Once filled to satiety on a cold winter's night, it gets even more difficult to sit with boring office work. However, finally I put myself on the laptop and sluggishly finished up the leftover work.

By the time I had completed my task and shutdown the laptop it was already 1:30 am. I was almost dying for sleep. I coulf drop dead at any moment from sleepiness.

Finally I forced myself out of the warm rug and brush my teeth. After peeing, I switched off the light and jump into my bed.

I have always loved winter nights. Warm and cosy beside large window with cold misty world outside. The mystery in the mist on a cold winter's day has always filled me with awe. As a child I'd often read myself to sleep with an adventure novel on such wintery night.

The room was dark, I was tired, everything was set. I got inside my rug and closed my eyes. It was cold and quiet. I could hear the noise from distant insects. A lonesome dog howled once in a while. The overbridge on belghoria expressway rumbled with the passage of a goods carrier.

I kept my eyes closed but then where was my sleep? Suddenly I felt more awake then I had been also the day! It was such an awkward feeling. Just moments back on my laptop I struggled to stay awake. And now that my work was done and I was in my bed sleep was nowhere near me.

No comments:

Post a Comment