a story lurks in every corner...

Little Talks

A song has been defined as a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung (oxforddictionaries.com).

A good song often reduces stress, helps in relaxation and above all, soothes the heart. And sometimes we come across some numbers which actually draw a mark on your heart and it stays in there for a long time.

Recently I came across one such song and so decided to share it here.
The song is titled ‘Little Talks’. When the 1st time I heard the number, I was swept by the upbeat tempo, the tooting horns and the beautiful harmonies. But after a few more times with the song, I realized there was something more to it than just the music and the rhythm.

As I went through the lyrics, I realized that the song incorporates a more thoughtful darker but deeper meaning.

It is basically a love song but dealing with the down side of life towards the end of togetherness. It tells the story of a couple who have survived life’s trials and reached an old age together.

They are older now and the female companion is succumbing to her age with some mental affliction (may be schizophrenia or depression).

Both of them are struggling with the woman losing her grasp on reality and the knowledge that one way or another they will soon be completely separated.

One of the main lines of the song “Though the Truth may vary, this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore” tells that even though she sees the world differently from what it is seen by her husband, ultimately they will both end up in the same place.

One day they will both be on the other side and again will be together the way they used to be.

The man tries to comfort her; soothe her. He tells her about their life together; about how their house is not a scary place and that outside is where they used to play and not a place to be buried.

He is struggling to bring her back and yet he realizes that he cannot win.
And so he keeps telling repeatedly, ‘Though the Truth may vary, this ship will carry our bodies safe to shore’.

It is a very heartfelt song with beautiful music.

Here is the lyric (azlyrics.com):

Hey! Hey! Hey!
I don't like walking around this old and empty house
So hold my hand, I'll walk with you, my dear
The stairs creak as you sleep, it's keeping me awake
It's the house telling you to close your eyes

And some days I can't even trust myself
It's killing me to see you this way

'Cause though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

Hey! Hey! Hey!

There's an old voice in my head that's holding me back
Well tell her that I miss our little talks
Soon it will be over and buried with our past
We used to play outside when we were young
And full of life and full of love.
Some days I don't know if I am wrong or right
Your mind is playing tricks on you, my dear

'Cause though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

Hey!
Don't listen to a word I say
Hey!
The screams all sound the same
Hey!

Though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

Hey!
Hey!

You're gone, gone, gone away
I watched you disappear
All that's left is the ghost of you.
Now we're torn, torn, torn apart,
There's nothing we can do
Just let me go we'll meet again soon
Now wait, wait, wait for me
Please hang around
I'll see you when I fall asleep

Hey!
Don't listen to a word I say
Hey!
The screams all sound the same
Hey!
Though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

Don't listen to a word I say
Hey!
The screams all sound the same
Hey!

Though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

Though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

Though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore
..................


A little search on Wikipedia revealed that the song is by a six-member, English language indie folk-pop band from Iceland who call themselves ‘Of Monsters and Men’.


The music video has a darker feel to coincide with the lyrics. The heroes in the video pass through many obstacles during their journey together but, whatever they go through, the ship does eventually carry them safely to the shore where they all can be together…

No comments:

Post a Comment