a story lurks in every corner...

the platform singer of Bally station

This was in the month of December 2011, when as a part of my rural training programme I had to go to Rural Health Center at Singur. I was enrolled as an MD student in Community Medicine with AIIHPH (All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health).
As I stayed in Dumdum, I had to change station from Bally station to catch the Tarakeshwar local from there to reach Singur. On one such day as I sat on the platform waiting for the train to come, this Man (Md. Munna) came and sat opposite to me and started singing Bollywood songs on his own and also playing the Dhol at the same time.
At times when there came any announcement from the platform loud-speakers he would pause for the people to listen to the announcement and thereafter recommence again from there onwards.
The guy seemed to have his own swagger. He was doing what pleased him to do the most. As the singing continued, many people gathered to listen to him. Some also gave him little money as a token for his talent which he gladly accepted, and I think that is what he does for a living....
Soon my train arrived, I left the platform to reach my destination but his songs, and voice still rings in my heart....

No comments:

Post a Comment